MOA’s Conservation department accepts applications for conservation interns for two annual internship periods: summer (May – August), and fall (September – December). Internships are accompanied by small award and are open to students who are enrolled in a conservation training programme and who require an internship placement as part of their graduating requirements. Actual start dates and duration of internships are flexible in order to accommodate different programme requirements.
How to apply:
Please submit resumes with a cover letter describing your goals, area of interest, education, and program requirements to email@example.com
Successful applicants are eligible for this award which provides a bursary of $2000 per placement.
John H. A. Grant (1953-1989) was born in Vancouver, where he attended St. George’s School. In 1970 he entered the University of British Columbia, intending to do honours in chemistry, but changed to art history after his first year. He graduated in 1974 with a BA Hon. Art History.
His graduating essay, “Twelfth Century Cistercian Architecture”, was derived from on-site research in Portugal. After graduation he entered the first training programme offered by the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa, studying for three years in the Ethnology/Archeology division with Per Guldbek. Over the next nine years he worked in the Artifacts Division at CCI as ethnographic conservator, also doing duty in the Atlantic Regional Laboratory in Moncton. He particularly enjoyed working on the Mobile Labs in various parts of Canada. In 1986, as his health began to deteriorate, he joined his family in Halifax, and continued to do occasional consulting and contract work there until his death in 1989.
A gifted teacher, John delighted in instructing and in bench work, enthusiasms that are reflected in the nature of the John H. A. Grant Memorial Award.